Michael Carrigan is a Consultant Solicitor in our litigation department and joined the firm in 2016.
Michael specialises in commercial property, professional negligence and dispute resolution. He also practises as an expert witness and as an arbitrator.
Michael qualified as a solicitor in 1969. In 1972 he joined the firm of Eugene F. Collins Solicitors in Dublin where in 1975 he became a Partner remaining as a Partner until the end of 2012 when he became a Consultant. He retired from Eugene F Collins at the end of March 2016.
As a solicitor Michael specialised in commercial property and is now frequently called upon to act as an expert witness in property related disputes including professional negligence claims involving members of the legal profession in Ireland.
Michael is an experienced arbitrator having acted as arbitrator in over 150 domestic arbitrations and three international arbitrations under appointment by the International Chamber of Commerce.
Michael acts for developers, financial institutions, corporate clients and insurers.
- Expert Witness
- Practising Arbitrator
- Chartered Arbitrator, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators,
- Member of the International Roster of the International Center for Dispute Resolution
- Past member for Ireland of the ICC International Court of Arbitration
- Former Chairman of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – Irish Branch
- Past President of Arbitration Ireland
- Member of Arbitration Ireland Executive Committee
- Former Chairman and Current Member of the ADR Committee of the Law Society
- Lectured on dispute resolution in the Law Society’s Law School
- Author of A Handbook on Arbitration Law in Ireland, Law Society, 1998
- Former member of the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal
- Former Chairman of the Society of Young Solicitors
- Former President of the Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats
- University College Dublin, BCL
- University College Dublin, LLB
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland
Holmes O'Malley Sexton’s team was boosted by the promotion of Limerick-based Sandra Egan to the partnership, and the hire of Michael Carrigan, who joined the Dublin office from Eugene F. Collins. Egan, who heads the practice, was instructed by Dublin City Council on a number of matters including the acquisition of housing units.
Winner of Best Employer: Talent Development and Workplace Wellness Award 2017
October 04, 2019
Expert determination is a private method of dispute resolution whereby disputing parties appoin...
Brexit implications a key theme at the ‘Professional Negligence Lawyers Association’ Annual Conference Sponsored by Holmes O’Malley Sexton
September 27, 2019
The annual Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA) conference took place on Septembe...
August 09, 2019
Ensuring prompt payment practices within the construction industry is important. Michael Murphy...