Congratulations, well done and thank you to all our staff and in particular, Robert Kennedy, Partner, Anna Owens, Senior Associate Solicitor, and Naoise O Donnell, Legal Information Systems Executive, on the firm being awarded 97%, a Gold Standard, in the Q9000 Legal Quality audit. This was achieved in our recent Q9000 audit from the Institute of Legal Research and Standards. The Q9000, which is recognised by the Law Society of Ireland, is the most advanced strategic, risk and quality management standard awarded by the Institute to law firms demonstrating exceptional levels of strategic, innovation and quality management.
We spoke to Naoise and asked her for some tips and advice for other organisations on surviving and being successful in a quality standard audit,
1. Be prepared. Know what you are good at, what you need to be better at, respond to last year’s audit report recommendations and have a plan to continuously improve.
2. Organise all of your documents. We use project management software to successfully organise, arrange and track the progress of documents and drafts.
3. Try to anticipate the auditor’s needs. Identify the people the auditor will need to meet and make sure they are available or there is someone else available, suitably qualified, to answer the auditor’s questions. Ensure you have briefed those people in advance on what to expect.
4. Do not be afraid to ask questions and have points clarified during the audit. We often seek the auditor’s advice on how to improve our processes.
5. Remember that the auditor is simply a person with a job to do. Ensuring they have everything they need, checking on them regularly and spending coffee breaks having a chat are simple common courtesies which are always appreciated.
For further information on our legal quality standard please contact Robert Kennedy or Anna Owens.